This section details the process of creating new backup accounts for SharePoint Online.
Perform the following procedure to create a backup account for SharePoint Online:
- Sign in to your CloudAlly account or click on the Backups menu item in the Navigation Panel if you are already signed in
- Click on + Add Backup Task on the Backups page.
The Activate A New Backup page is displayed:
- Click on the SharePoint Online option. The SharePoint Online Backup Task Settings screen appears:
- Fill-in the name of the backup task. This name is used in the notifications and reports and it can be changed later.
- Fill-in the URL of the root SharePoint domain in the field SharePoint URL.
Note: CloudAlly will automatically assign admin permission to SharePoint sites when using a SharePoint Admin account.
- Choose the authorization type: Use OAuth based authorization, or Use credential based authorization.
- The OAuth based authorization is the preferred type and is selected by default. If you choose Use OAuth based authorization, you do not need to fill-in your Microsoft account credentials anywhere in our application – all operations are done using the secure access token granted during this step. Click the Authenticate button to start the process of granting the access token. You will be redirected to the SharePoint Online sign in page. Enter the credentials to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- The credential based authentication is the old approach and is not recommended. Please note that some tools are not available if you use credential based authentication. If you choose Use credential based authorization, additional fields appear requiring you to provide SharePoint Online admin Mail address and Please fill-in this information and click Authenticate to begin the authorization process.
- You will be redirected to the Backup Task page, where you can adjust the settings of the backup.
Note: If you use multi-factor authentication with Office 365, you will need to use OAuth based authorization (requires a Global Admin account).