The following procedure explains how to create a backup for Microsoft Exchange:
In order to activate individual user backups, your Admin account must have Impersonation and be a member of the Management Group. This is done as follows:
- At your Microsoft Exchange dashboard, click on the Admin menu and then click on the Exchange menu item.
- Go to permissions and double click on Discovery Management.
- Add the Application Impersonation Role to this roles group.
- Go to permissions and double click on Organization Management.
- Add the Application Impersonation Role to this roles group
Note: If you use multi-factor authentication with Microsoft Exchange, you will need to use OAuth based authorization (requires a Global Admin account).
Once Impersonation has been set you can proceed to CloudAlly application for backup activation:
- Sign in to your CloudAlly account or click on the Backups menu item in the Navigation Panel if you are already signed in.
- Click on + Add Backup Task on the Backups page
The Activate A New Backup page is displayed:
- Click on the Microsoft Exchange option. The Microsoft Exchange Backup Task Settings screen appears:
- Fill-in the name of the backup task. This name is used in the notifications and reports, and it can be changed later.
- Choose the authorization type: Use OAuth based authorization, or Use credential based authorization.
- The OAuth based authorization is the preferred type and is selected by default. If you choose Use OAuth based authorization, you do not need to fill in your Microsoft Exchange credentials anywhere in our application – all operations are done using the secure access token granted during this step. Click the Authenticate button to start the process of granting the access token. You will be redirected to the Microsoft Exchange sign-in page. Enter the credentials to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- We don’t recommend using Use credential-based authorization option as Microsoft will be deprecating its usage in the second half of 2020.
- You will be redirected to the Backup Task page, where you can adjust the settings of the backup.
On this page, you can adjust the backup settings and activate backups for Microsoft users.